Milk/Dairy (limit to 2-4 servings a day)
- Allowed: Skim (nonfat) or 1% milk (liquid, powdered, evaporated), nonfat or
low-fat yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese (2% fat or less), low-fat cheese
(labeled 6 grams of fat or less per ounce); nonfat sour cream; nonfat
- Avoid: Whole milk (4% fat)(liquid, evaporated, condensed), 2% milk, cream,
half and half, imitation milk products, most nondairy creamers, whipped
toppings; whole milk yogurt; regular cottage cheese; goat’s milk
cheese; sour cream; low fat cream cheese; low fat sour cream. NOTE: If 2%
milk is used, decrease added fat by 1 teaspoon for each cup of milk.
Meat/Meat Substitute (limit to 5 oz a day from
animal products; limit 4 egg yolks a week)
- Allowed: Dried beans, split peas, lentils, pinto beans cooked without salt;
poultry without the skin; fish; tuna packed in water; lean beef (extra
lean ground beef, eye of round, sirloin, round tip, round, top round,
tenderloin, top loin); lean pork (fresh not cured, tenderloin, leg,
shoulder); lamb (arm, leg, loin, rib); shrimp or lobster (limit 3 oz per
week); luncheon meats (1 gram fat or less per ounce); egg whites (2 egg
whites=1 whole egg); low cholesterol egg substitutes.
- Avoid: Fried meats or meat substitutes; fatty cuts of beef, pork or lamb.
Goose, duck, liver, kidney, brains, or other organ meats; hot dogs,
sausages, bacon; regular luncheon meats; peanut butter; egg yolks.
Breads and Grains (6-11 servings a day)
- Allowed: Whole-grain breads (oatmeal, whole wheat, rye, bran, multigrain,
etc.); rice; pasta; homemade baked goods low in fat; low fat crackers (ricecakes, popcorn cakes, Rye Krisp,
melba toast, pretzels, breadsticks); hot or cold
cereals (with 1 to 2 grams of fat or less per serving).
- Avoid: High fat baked goods (pies, cakes, doughnuts, croissants, pastries,
muffins, biscuits,); high fat crackers; egg noodles; granola type cereals;
cereals with more than 2 grams of fat per serving; pasta and rice prepared
with cream, butter or cheese sauces.
Vegetables (3-5 servings per day or more)
- Allowed: Any fresh, frozen, canned or dried.
- Avoid: Vegetables prepared in butter, cream, or other sauces; fried
Fruits (4 servings per day or more)
- Allowed: Any fresh, frozen, canned, or dried
- Avoid: Coconuts, avocados, and olives
Desserts and Sweets (Limit to control calories)
- Allowed: Sugar, jelly, jam, honey, molasses; low-fat frozen desserts (like
sherbet, sorbet, ices, nonfat frozen yogurt, Popsicles); angel food cake;
low-fat cakes and cookies (like vanilla wafers, graham crackers, ginger
snaps); baking cocoa; low-fat candy (like jelly beans, hard candy).
- Avoid: Ice cream, high fat cakes, pies and cookies (most commercially
- Allowed: Juices, tea, coffee, decaffeinated coffee, carbonated drinks, most
- Avoid: Milkshakes; ice cream floats; eggnog; alcoholic beverages
containing milk, cream, or coconut; commercially softened water as
beverage or in food preparation.